Water

Long time no blog about dead people! With this lockdown-living because of COVID-19, I've had more time to sit on the laptop and keep researching. So, I decided to tackle another "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" challenge and this week's theme is Water. I've decided to interpret this theme with some amazing photos I found, whilst double-checking my Dad's records for my tree!

My grandmother was Cora Parsons (who married Joseph Sedgwick). Her generation is the first one with lots of photographs. They lived in southern Sydney (Jannali), but I have a few amazing photos of her and her siblings enjoying seaside vacations in Middle Harbour and the Central Coast.

This is Cora in January 1926, aged 25, at Middle Harbour.

Cora, in the same outfit with umbrella, so presumably, somewhere also near Middle Harbour. I can't tell from Google Maps where this might be - so if you recognise that spot, let me know!

This is Cora in March 1926, aged 26, at the Entrance, New South Wales.

This is her husband Joe - undated and unplaced photo - enjoying cooling off his feet!

Joe's sister, Jacomina (Mena) Sedgwick, is 3rd from the left and her husband, Robert (Curl) Simon, is on the right - at Albert Park in Melbourne, 8 January 1927 - possibly near West Beach Bather's Pavillion.

This is Cora's sister, Olive (Ollie) on the left with Alma Gaudry (I don't know who that is - but if it's your relative, let me know!) - location unknown.

This is Olive and Cora at Kurrawyba Guest House at Terrigal - I think they are leaning against the stair railing in the middle - second right and next left from the lady on the pole.

This is the only photo I could find of Kurrawyba. From Google Maps, it seems like it may be on the site of the current Crowne Plaza Terrigal Beach. I'd love it if anyone knows for sure!

So, in these times of being confined indoors, I thought it was nice to share some amazing old photos of the 1920s, by the beach in Sydney, Melbourne and the Central Coast, New South Wales.

I love the joy in these photos and I hope that they provide some kind of record for future generations, historians and family researchers!

Comments

  1. I love seeing these vintage family photos from Australia. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just fabulous?! I had to share them because otherwise they stay in an old folder :-)

      Delete
  2. I love old photos, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First

Lucky

Over the sea